Grace Episcopal Church
Featured Character – 1864 Confederate Decline
Grace Episcopal Church was built around 1860–1861 for the practicing Episcopalians of the Plymouth parish. In August 1860, Virginian Nathaniel J. Whitehurst won the $7,000 contract to erect the structure. By the time war arrived, Whitehurst had the brick walls and tower of the church built. Hired architect Richard Upjohn planned to roof the building with slate tiles, but war shortages forced Whitehurst to use cypress shingles. After the Union occupation, Union soldiers held services in the church. During the Battle of Plymouth, both sides used the building as a hospital and tradition holds that the church gave up its pews to make coffins for the numerous that had fallen in battle. Severely damaged by the war, the sanctuary underwent major renovations in 1892.