Featured Characters – 1860
Elmwood Plantation was built in 1822 for David Parker (1803-1875) one year after his marriage to Sarah G. Hinton (1805-1861). According to the tax listing of 1822, Parker owned 230 acres and two slaves. The house was built on Parker’s father’s plantation that he inherited upon his father’s death in 1820. By 1860, he owned 700 acres with 21 slaves. The house remains in the family today.